Crawford County Indiana was formed in 1818 from the counties of Harrison, Orange, and Perry.
The Crawford County Public Library was established in 1954 in English, Indiana. The current facility was built in 1995, when the town was moved to higher ground after devastating flooding in 1979 and 1990. Parking lot is at the back of the building.
The early official county records of marriages and probates are located at the Archives in the former Dollar General Store, located at 777 Indiana 64, English, IN 1/2 mile from the library, maintained by volunteers of the Crawford Co. Historical & Genealogical Society.
The Archives building hours are: Tues, 9:00 am — 2:00 pm April through September. The building is closed October thru March. Contact Roberta Toby at 812-365-9067 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries or an appointment.
Official Birth and Death records are in the county Health Dept., located across the street from the library. (Births and Deaths from 1899)