The Crawford County Public Library was organized in 1954 after enough signatures were obtained to petition for a tax rate. The first Crawford County Library budget was published in August, 1954. In 1955, a librarian was hired and a storefront building was used to house the library's collection. The cleaning and repair of the building was accepted in lieu of rent.
In 1956, the decision was made to move the library to the Beals property on E. 5th Street. The house and lots were purchased for $6800.00. $3000.00 was provided by a Building Fund from the State Tax Commission and the Library Board received a loan for the remaining $3800.00. It was paid for in 1959 and the library remained there until the present building was acquired in 1968. For 25 years the library has been operated without building expansion.
In September, 1992, April, 1993 and September 1993, a Department of Commerce Community Focus Fund Grant in the amount of $500,000.00 was applied for. The grant application was denied the first two rounds of funding but finally in November, 1993, the Library Board was notified that the grant had been awarded. The Library Board of the Crawford County Library in English indiana proposed to construct a new library in the relocated town of English at the corner of Indiana Avenue and Oak Hill Circle. The new facility replaced the one located at 111 W. 5th Street in English.